click on pictures for larger views









Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Calcified Tears Of A Heartbroken Giant - Chocolate Hills, Philippines








The Calcified Tears Of A Heartbroken Giant - Chocolate Hills, Philippines

Oil and pastel on wood, 40"x 60"

This piece grew out of a previous drawing I did called 'The Heartbroken Giant'. It turns out there is a real place in the Philippines called the Chocolate Hills that had a landscape reminiscent to the one I made for my drawing. After a little research on the interwebs, I was struck and excited by the similarities to the backstory I had made up for my original drawing and the local folklore. The hills individually are referred to as the calcified tears, while the whole area is known as the Chocolate Hills. They are grass covered limestone that turn brown in the dry season, and there are 1,776 of them, a fact I just discovered, and is of course a number of great importance in this country.

3 comments:

Pierre Raby said...

Impressive and stunningly unique, your rich narrative pieces communicate so many things on different levels, this very interesting one makes no exception.
Great work Andy!

Unknown said...

Thanks Pierre! It took awhile for that one to get going. It just sat around the studio, but it once it did, it almost finished itself.

Stephen Magsig said...

Very wonderful and interesting piece Andy!